Anyone who’s ever purchased real estate will tell you the home buying process can be drawn out, complicated, and rife with endless paperwork. At the same time, there’s always the potential for problems to arise at a moment’s notice. While all that may be true, there are certain strategies that can speed up the home buying process.
Follow these tips and you’ll be putting out your new welcome mat in no time:
1. Find the right kind of house. If you’re hoping to move in a hurry, here’s a word from the wise: Avoid homes that may entail an interview with their boards like co-ops. Co-ops can take six to eight weeks to get a board interview scheduled, finalized, and approved. Since many folks may be traveling over the holidays, there could be further delays. Also, avoid bank-owned homes or foreclosures, which generally take much longer to close.
A far faster bet is to focus on condos or new home developments. Closings in condos and houses in new developments, even with financing, can happen in as little as three to four weeks. Most new developments have preferred lenders who are already approved for the building and ready to go.
2. Get pre-approved for a mortgage. You may be tempted to check out as many open houses as possible, but it’s more important to be strategic. Don’t waste precious time touring homes that are well beyond your budget. With that in mind, your first step should be finding out exactly what you can afford.
3. Get your documents in order. To speed up a home purchase during holidays, buyers should start putting together all of the documents and paperwork that are usually required during a home loan review. Generally, a homebuyer will need the following:
– Supporting information (W-2, 1099, or other tax forms) for the past two years
– Two months’ worth of statements from any checking and savings accounts
– 401(k), retirement, and other accounts, as well as pay stubs for the past month
4. Work with the right real estate agent. Working with a proactive real estate agent who knows the area, as well as how to leverage technology and social networks to make things happen, is key.
These are just a few of the things you’ll need to know in order to successfully complete your home purchase before the holiday season is up. If you have any questions about the process or if you’re ready to get the ball rolling today, feel free to reach out and give our team a call or send us an email today. We’d love to help make your dreams a reality and get you into your new home just in time for the holidays.